Positive Mosquito Pool In Parish Reported On Sept 14, 2012
Friday September 14, 2012 04:04 pm - 270 Views
Zone # 18
This is to inform you that the Louisiana Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab has confirmed West Nile virus in a Sentinel Chicken located in Terrebonne Parish this week. The sample was submitted on September 11TH, 2012 and confirmation was received on September 14TH, 2012. The location is in the Schriever area. In accordance with Expanded Transmission Protocol, we are asking for permission to proceed with West Nile virus protocol procedures.
1) The locations described will be considered to be the epicenter of the problem.
2) Personnel will be assigned to inspect the immediate areas surrounding the epicenter and to continue outward for an approximate five-city block area. The purpose of the search will be to locate vector mosquito (the Southern House Mosquito and/or the Asian Tiger) breeding sites. Positive sites will be addressed with bacterial or other larvicide measures.
3) Residents in the area will be made aware that there is a heightened potential for encephalitis infection in their neighborhood and that personal protection and yard sanitation is required. This will be done by distributing informative literature within a five-block radius of the epicenter.
4) When it is necessary to enter a property, the resident will be asked to sign a permission slip to allow inspection of the premises for mosquito breeding and to take action against insects.
5) During the evening hours, truck mounted sprayers will be assigned to spray zone 18 in an effort to reduce/maintain the vector population below the critical level as noted in the RFP 09-MOSQ-11, pages 39 and 40, Expanded Surveillance Protocol. Truck spraying will be conducted on the evenings of September 14th, 15th, and 16th, weather permitting.
6) The efficacy of this operation will be determined through the use of Gravid Traps that are scheduled for operation immediately following the completion of the control activities. The number of mosquitoes collected will serve to quantify the adult population and provide specimens to be submitted for testing at Louisiana Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab.
Jessie Boudreaux, Jr. President / Owner