- Know your flood hazard - discover where your property is in relation to the floodplain.
- Insure your property for your flood hazard - even properties located outside of the floodplain should be insured for flood.
- Protect people from the hazard - turn around don't drown.
- Protect your property from the hazard - retrofit your home or business to help protect from flooding.
- Build responsibly - retrofit homes or businesses in flood zones, do not build in the floodway.
- Protect natural floodplain functions - keep ditches and culverts clear of debris.
- Protect yourself and your property from hurricanes - have a hurricane plan.
- Be prepared for natural hazards - have plans for hurricanes, tornadoes and other natural events.
- General flood education - find the flood history for your area.