Generator Safety Reminder from Bayou Cane: Allow Generator to Cool Down BEFORE Refueling
Monday September 06, 2021 04:55 pm - 168 Views - Posted By Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness
At 6:36 PM on September 5, 2021, units were dispatched to the report of a structure fire. Bayou Cane crews along with Porter Fire Department, Timber Lakes Fire Department, and South County Fire Department were able to quickly extinguish the fire. No injuries were reported. Unfortunately a family pet was lost as a result of the fire.
The fire started while the home owner was refilling the gas tank of a hot generator.
We would like to remind everyone to follow all manufacturer's instructions while using a portable generator including allowing the generator to cool down before refueling. We would also like to thank all of the fire departments from around the country who are here helping keep this community safe in the aftermath of the storm.