This is to inform you that the Louisiana Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory has confirmed a Sentinel Flock to be positive for West Nile Virus (WNV). Blood samples from said flock were collected on October 28th, at its location on Swamp Drive in Presque Isle (Zone 26). In accordance with the Expanded Transmission Protocol we are suggesting the following.
1) The location described will be considered to be the epicenter of the problem.
2) Personnel will be assigned to inspect the immediate area surrounding the epicenter and to continue outward for an approximate five-city block area. The purpose of the search will be to locate vector mosquito (the Southern House Mosquito and/or the Asian Tiger) breeding sites. Positive sites will be addressed with bacterial or other larvicide.
3) Residents in the area will be made aware that there is a heightened potential for encephalitis infection in their neighborhood and that personal protection and yard sanitation is required. This will be done by distributing informative literature within a five-city block radius of the epicenter.
4) When it is necessary to enter a property, the resident will be asked to sign a permission slip to allow inspection of the premises for mosquito breeding and to take action against the insects.
5) During the evening hours, truck mounted sprayers will be assigned to spray portion of Zone 26 and portion of Zone 27 in an effort to reduce/maintain the vector population below the critical level as noted in Exhibit A of the Expanded Surveillance Protocol. Spraying will be conducted on the evenings of Nov. 3rd, 4th, and 5th weather permitting.
6) The efficacy of this operation will be determined through the use of Gravid Traps that are scheduled for operation immediately following the completion of the control activities. The number of mosquitoes collected will serve to quantify the adult population and provide specimens to be submitted for testing in our laboratory using test kits provided by the State. This will reduce turn-around time of results to one or two days.
We await your response.
Steven G. Pavlovich
Assistant General Manager