This is to inform you that the Louisiana Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab has confirmed two West Nile Positive mosquito pools in Terrebonne Parish. Samples were collected on 8-9-2010, and the locations are: in the Montegut and in Chauvin areas. In accordance with the Expanded Transmission Protocol, we are asking for permission to proceed with our West Nile procedures.
1) The locations described above will be considered to be the epicenter of the problem.
2) Personnel will be assigned to inspect the immediate area surrounding the epicenter and to continue outward for an approximate five-city block area. The purpose of the search will be to locate vector mosquito (the Southern House Mosquito and/or the Asian Tiger) breeding sites. Positive sites will be addressed with bacterial or other larvicide.
3) Residents in the area will be made aware that there is a heightened potential for encephalitis infection in their neighborhood and that personal protection and yard sanitation is required. This will be done by distributing informative literature within approximately a five-block radius of the epicenter.
4) When it is necessary to enter a property, the resident will be asked to grant permission to allow inspection of the premises for mosquito breeding and to allow inspectors to take action against the insects.
5) During the evening hours, truck mounted sprayers will be assigned to spray Zone(s) 31, in an effort to reduce/maintain the vector population below the critical level as noted in the RFP 09-MOSQ-11 pages 39 and 40, Expanded Surveillance Protocol. Spraying will be conducted on the evenings of: 8-13-2010 (Friday), 8-14-2010 (Saturday), and 8-15-2010 (Sunday), weather permitting.
6) The efficacy of these operations will be determined through the use of Gravid Traps that are scheduled for operation immediately following the completion of the control activities. The number of mosquitoes collected will serve to quantify the adult population and provide specimens to be submitted for testing at Louisiana Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab.
Jessie Boudreaux, Jr.