Here is an update concerning the ongoing heavy rainfall and severe weather threat today through this evening
- Main concern continues to be heavy rainfall with severe storms the secondary threat
- Line of strong thunderstorms and heavy rainfall is slowing down which has enhanced localized flash flooding threat along a line from Hattiesburg, MS through Thibodaux, LA.
- Observed rainfall rates of 2 to 3 inches per hour
- Totals from the strongest portion of the line has been in the 3 to 5 inch range
- We have already received multiple reports of considerable flash flooding as the line has moved east.
- A lull in heavy rainfall is possible for areas along and west of the I-55 corridor for the next few hours, but more rounds of heavy rainfall are likely tonight and Thursday.
- With already very wet soils from this first round, it will take less rainfall for flash flooding to occur with additional rounds of rain.