NWS Heavy Rain/Flash Flood Update - January 24, 2024 at 4:30 PM
Wednesday January 24, 2024 05:19 pm - 195 Views - Posted By Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness
Here is an update from the National Weather Service in New Orleans concerning the risk for flash flooding and strong storms across portions of the area through Saturday.
Overview of Impacts:
- Flash flooding is occurring across portions of southeast LA and southern MS.
- Heaviest rainfall with the current line of storms slowly moving into NOLA downtown and Slidell which will likely continue to produce new flash flooding.
- Multiple waves of heavy rain will continue into Friday, before the last round pushes through on Saturday, exiting to the east thereafter. Heaviest storms will be capable of 2-3" per hour rainfall rates.
- Isolated severe storms in association with these rounds of heavy rain could occur tonight and tomorrow.
- Rises on area rivers/streams are expected.
- Smaller tributaries could reach minor to moderate flood stages.