Scam Alert 2014
Terrebonne Parish Consolidated Government would like to remind residents to remain aware of phone scam attempts taking place in our community.
The Terrebonne Parish Consolidated Government Utilities Department DOES NOT make collection calls and DOES NOT accept payments via telephone.
If residents receive suspicious calls, they should immediately contact the Houma Police Department at (985) 873-6306 or the Terrebonne Parish Sheriff's Office at (985) 876-2500!
To avoid phone scams residents should:
- Keep your credit card, checking account, or Social Security numbers to yourself. Don't tell them to callers you don't know - even if they ask you to "confirm" this information. That's a trick.
- Resist pressure to make a decision immediately while on the telephone.
- Don't pay for something just because you'll get a "free gift."
- Get all information in writing before you agree to buy.
- Check out a charity before you give. Ask how much of your donation actually goes to the charity. Ask the caller to send you written information so you can make an informed decision without being pressured, rushed, or guilted into it.
- If the offer is an investment, check with your state securities regulator to see if the offer is properly registered.
- Don't send cash by messenger, overnight mail, or money transfer. If you use cash or a money transfer - rather than a credit card - you may lose your right to dispute fraudulent charges. The money will be gone.
- Don't agree to any offer for which you have to pay a "registration" or "shipping" fee to get a prize or a gift.
- Research offers with your consumer protection agency or state Attorney General's office before you agree to send money.
- Beware of offers to "help" you recover money you have already lost. Callers that say they are law enforcement officers who will help you get your money back "for a fee" are scammers.
- Report any caller who is rude or abusive, even if you already sent them money. They'll want more. Call 1-877-FTC-HELP or visit www.ftc.gov/complaint.